Content Warning: This article discusses sexual assault. If you or someone you know is affected by the following story, you are not alone. To speak to someone, you can call Lifeline on 13 11 14, or 1800 RESPECT on 1800 737 732.
Bassnectar has quit the music industry indefinitely, following allegations of sexual misconduct against him which surfaced online earlier this week.
The American DJ and producer announced via Twitter that will be “stepping back” from his music career and the industry.
“I am stepping down from my position of power and privilege in this community because I want to take responsibility and accountability,” he said.
“I feel intense compassion for anyone I may have hurt,” he continued, before asking for the chance to “work together towards healing.”
Earlier this week, an Instagram account called @evidenceagainstbassnectar began to post screenshots from multiple women, alleging sexual misconduct against the producer.
Some screenshots alleged the producer, real name Lorin Ashton, engaged in relationships with several underaged girls, while others were stories about his sexual manipulation of adults.
“I met Lorin when I was 16… He pulled me aside from everyone’s into a sound closet.. he kissed me and then we exchanged numbers. I went to his hotel and told him how old I was. He was perfectly fine with even though he was 36. We starting dating after that,” wrote one.
Re-iterating a statement earlier in the week when he denied those allegations in a private Facebook fan group, the artist said “the rumours you are hearing are untrue, but I realise some of my past actions have caused pain and I am deeply sorry.
“Sometime in the future I may share more thoughts on these matters, but for now, please take care of each other and I wish you all the brightest future.”
The full statement is available to read below:
— Bassnectar (@bassnectar) July 3, 2020