As Tone Deaf reported yesterday, Saturday’s Stereosonic event in Sydney saw the third death at an Australian music festival in as many months. 25-year-old Sylvia Choi died after allegedly ingesting a mixture of ecstasy and MDMA.

Ms Choi, a qualified pharmacist who resided in Sydney’s Oyster Bay region, went into cardiac arrest after taking the mixture and died at Concord Hospital on Saturday night. Friends described her as “talented and amazingly kind“.

An image of Ms Choi has since surfaced, but according to Mumbrella, The Daily Telegraph used a picture of an entirely different woman on their front page yesterday, identifying the mystery woman as the victim of a drug overdose at Stereosonic.

The News Corp-owned newspaper prominently ran the image on the cover of yesterday’s paper, naming the unidentified woman as Sylvia Choi. However, police soon released the correct image of the late 25-year-old.

The release of the correct image forced The Telegraph to change its online articles, however the wrong image remained on the paper’s digital edition, as well as running top in the outlet’s e-newsletter and on

It’s not currently known who the other woman used in the Telegraph‘s material is and Mumbrella notes a Telegraph news wrap with the correct image still includes a subject line and headline which misspells Ms Choi’s name.

Image via Mumbrella

When contacted by Mumbrella, News Corp declined to comment on how the image of the wrong woman was initially identified and sourced and whether the newspaper would be issuing a correction.

Despite the tragedy that occurred at the Sydney Stereosonic event on Saturday, a woman has taken to Facebook to brag about how she allegedly snuck “100 pingas” into the festival’s Perth event the next day.

As WA Today reports, festivalgoer Chelsea addressed organisers in a since-deleted post that read, “Just wanna say big thanks to stereo security not searching me properly, managed to bring in 100 pingas so thanks so much for not doing ya jobs xxx [sic].”

The image of Ms Choi released by police via Mumbrella

Meanwhile, the Sydney Morning Herald has managed to obtain an internal email from Event Medical Services, the private paramedic company contracted to provide first aid services to Stereosonic, placing a gag order on staff.

“If you are approached by the police (which has happened before) do not make any comment,” the email told more than 55 staff members who worked the festival in Sydney Olympic Park. The email also instructed staff not to post anything about the incident on social media.

Ms Choi’s death has also reignited debate about Australia’s approach to illicit drug use, with figures like harm minimisation advocate Dr David Caldicott saying the fact that deaths keep occurring despite the presence of police operations at music festivals means “we’re doing something wrong”.

Get unlimited access to the coverage that shapes our culture.
to Rolling Stone magazine
to Rolling Stone magazine