Flume’s current US tour has been met with tragedy following the death of a 19-year-old woman who attended his performance at a Washington D.C. venue last week. Officials say Victoria Callahan died in hospital after ingesting the drug molly at the Echostage in Northeast D.C.
As local outlet WUSA9 reports, Callahan was transported from the concert venue located at 2135 Queen Chapel Road in Northeast, D.C. around 12 a.m. on Wednesday night. She was taken to the Washington Hospital Center in a reportedly stable condition.
The MedStar Washington Hospital confirmed Thursday afternoon that the young woman, a distinguished second-year marine biology student at Coastal Carolina University, was in the emergency room and died sometime in the morning hours.
Reports indicate this is the second time a person has collapsed and later died after ingesting molly and attending a concert at the Echostage. In September 2013, a University of Virginia student died after ingesting the popular party drug before attending a show at the venue.
Flume, who will continue his US tour with a performance at Grand Central in Miami, Florida tomorrow night, before appearances at Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas, the Westward Music Showcase, and Electric Forest Festival, has not issued a statement.
A mash-up combining Flume’s latest track, ‘Some Minds’, and The Notorious B.I.G.’s classic ‘Big Poppa’, put together by Chicago duo The Hood Internet, began making the rounds last week, garnering acclaim from several outlets for the seamless mix.
In other Flume-related news, the producer recently made headlines when he doesn’t make “dance music” and shared his thoughts on rock music.
“It’s very stuck whereas with electronic music new sounds are being created. Imagine a Skrillex bassline 20 years ago – no-one would have been able to fathom what that sounded like,” he said.